Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Scenes from Nature

We came across this beautiful scene at our metro park this weekend. A father swan wades in the cold water under a willow tree, while his wife nests nearby in the cattails. How inspiring!

Our talented Handwork Group at Oakland Steiner School recreates this scene in wool. Yvonne needlefelted the tree, and Kathleen sewed the swan. Thanks to Jaime for photographing the vignette. What a lovely way to bring the outdoors inside!

Here is more to inspire you...



When I put together my first nature table, I consulted a book to find out what color cloth I was supposed to use. A teacher advised me to take a look outdoors and to bring those colors in. I think of that every time I change the scenery at school and at home. I go for a walk to see and feel the gradual change of seasons. I take little snapshots in my head, or sometimes capture details with a camera. I always find something wonderful out there, and try to express it on the nature table indoors.


Needless to say, the seasons can be tricky in Michigan; grey skies and freezing rain one moment, sunshine and cloudless blue skies the next. In general, I do four seasons and four transitions each year, for a total of eight nature table displays. Some people like to change their nature table each month, and this can be a fun activity for the whole family to share. Children love to be in charge of the task for their birthday month!

Today, a chorus of spring peepers fills the air. I share their joy!

The Great Horned Owls are back. Every year, the pair returns to Metro Beach to start a family. Here is Mama Owl, sitting in her washtub high in the trees with ear tufts blowing in the wind. The original nest, built by squirrels and borrowed by the owls, was blown down by high winds. The naturalists replaced the nest with this sturdy bucket, complete with drainage holes and brown paint. They managed to save the owlets, who fledged several weeks later. Come have a look this year and bring the whole family. Its marker #9 on the trail. This year's owlet/s may be showing fluffy white feathers by Earth Day, April 22nd.

See great horned owls up close and hear their calls at http://www.owlpages.com/owls.php?genus=Bubo&species=virginianus

No comments:

Post a Comment